What is our Local Offer?
In line with the Children and Families Bill 2014, we support Wiltshire Council’s Local Offer for children with SEND (Special Educational Needs or Disability).
Springboard is an opportunity pre-school for children under 5 with special needs, it has been a charitable organisation based in Chippenham serving the families of North Wiltshire since 1976. We are part of the local community, receiving donations and grants from local companies and individuals.
How are places at Springboard funded?
Springboard provides five statutory term time sessions (2.5 hours) funded by Wiltshire Council and via the Free Entitlement funding for children aged 2 and over.
Additional sessions and costs are provided and funded through the charity work of Springboard.
For children Springboard offers:
- Term time pre-school sessions
- Holiday activities
- Short term assessment placements
For families Springboard offers
- Rabbits Stay and Play for under 2s
At Springboard we will offer you support by signposting you to any relevant support groups, activities etc.
The staff at Springboard have an understanding for the feelings and emotions you will experience and try to provide any practical advice when appropriate or just an ear to listen.
For professionals and carers Springboard offers workshops on:
- Choosing a Primary school
- Starting School
- Using Makaton and Sign
- Using Visuals and PECs
The levels of need
Children at Springboard are supported at SEN Support and MyPlan (EHCP) levels. This is done by creating and providing an individualised child led curriculum
We offer support to children with:
- Cerebral palsy
- Autism – diagnosed or under review
- Medical syndromes or acquired illness
- Down’s Syndrome and other genetic syndromes
- Physical abnormalities
- Significant sensory delays/disorders of hearing , sight , language
- Significant developmental delay in one or more areas
- Children whose development has been significantly impaired as a result of abuse.
- Children whose physical, emotional, social or intellectual development is likely to be significantly impaired because of their circumstances
- Children are supported generally on 1:2 ratio Referrals are taken from any relevant professional or agency know to the child and family or parents can self-refer.Springboard is managed by a Management Committee has overall accountability, the committee currently comprises of past and current parents. The Management board affiliated to Charity Commission and Companies House.
Staff qualifications include:
- Postgraduate Early Years centre manager
- SENCo/Deputy Manager
- Outreach Lead
- Makaton Lead
- Safeguarding Committee rep
- Business Administrator
- Level 2 administrator
- Training and expertise
- Staff are trained and knowledgeable in Makaton
- Use of PECS
- Sensory Activities
- Working with Parents
- Derbyshire Language Scheme
- Hearing Impairment
- Visual Impairment
- Complex Health Needs
- Listening to children and advocacy
External Support is available to the children from a wide range of professionals:-
- Speech and language therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Educational Psychologists
- Children Centres
- SEND 0-25 SERVICE
- SENSS service
- Teachers for the hearing impaired and visually impaired
- Health Visitors
- Lifetime Nurses
- Mainstream colleagues
What resources, equipment do you have?
Springboard is a purpose built building, compliant with the Equality Act 2010, it is all on one level and has easy access with wide doors.
Specialist equipment/ resources include:-
- Aster Bannerman changing table
- Sensory garden
- Large enclosed play area
- Inclusive community playthings furniture
- Observation window
- Meeting rooms
- IT area for children
- Adaptable playrooms and space
- Disabled toilet
- Sensory room
What other settings provide similar support?
Springboard is the only setting providing a specialist service in North Wiltshire.
Mainstream settings work in partnership to support inclusion
Portage provides a home tuition service for children with similar needs
See https://www.wiltshirelocaloffer.org.uk/ for more information