What is our Local Offer?
In line with the Children and Families Act 2014, we support Wiltshire Council’s Local Offer for children with SEND (Special Educational Needs or Disability).
Springboard is a pre-school for children under 5 with special needs, it has been a charitable organisation based in Chippenham serving the families of North Wiltshire since 1976. We are part of the local community, receiving donations and grants from local companies, charitable trusts and individuals.
How are places at Springboard funded?
Springboard provides five statutory term time sessions (2.5 hours) partially funded by Wiltshire Council and via the Early Years funding for children aged 2 and over.
Additional sessions and costs are provided and funded through the charity work of Springboard.
For children Springboard offers:
- Term time pre-school sessions
- Short term assessment placements
For families Springboard offers
- Rabbits Stay and Play for under 2s
At Springboard we will offer you support by signposting you to any relevant support groups, activities etc.
The staff at Springboard have an understanding for the feelings and emotions you will experience and try to provide any practical advice when appropriate or just an ear to listen.
For professionals and carers Springboard offers workshops on:
- Using Visuals and PECs
The levels of need
Children at Springboard are supported at SEN Support and MyPlan (EHCP) levels. This is done by creating and providing an individualised child led curriculum
We offer support to children with:
- Cerebral palsy
- Autism – diagnosed or under review
- Medical syndromes or acquired illness
- Down’s Syndrome and other genetic syndromes
- Physical abnormalities
- Significant sensory delays/disorders of hearing , sight , language
- Significant developmental delay in one or more areas
- Children whose development has been significantly impaired as a result of abuse.
- Children whose physical, emotional, social or intellectual development is likely to be significantly impaired because of their circumstances
- Children are supported generally on a 1:1, 1:2 and occasionally a 1:3 ratio. Referrals are taken from any relevant professional or agency known to the child and family or parents can self-refer.
- Springboard is managed by a Management Committee which has overall accountability. The committee currently comprises past parents and individuals from the local community. The Management board is affiliated to The Charity Commission and Companies House.
Staff Qualifications and Key Roles
Staff qualifications include:
- Level 2 to Masters qualified early years workforce
- SENCo/Deputy Manager
- Curriculum Leader
Staff are trained and knowledgeable in:
- Use of PECS
- Sensory Activities
- Working with Parents
- Derbyshire Language Scheme
- Clinical Skills
- Attention Autism
- Hearing Impairment
- Visual Impairment
- Complex Health Needs
- Listening to children and advocacy
- Multi agency working
Multi agency support is available to the children from a wide range of professionals:-
- Speech and language therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Educational Psychologists
- Children Centres
- Wiltshire SEND 0-25 Service
- The Sensory Impairment, Physical and Medical Service
- Health Visitors
- Community Children’s Nurse
- Children’s Learning Disability Nursing Services
What resources, equipment do you have?
Springboard is a purpose built building, compliant with the Equality Act 2010, it is all on one level and has easy access with wide doors.
Specialist equipment/ resources include:-
- Aster Bannerman changing table
- Sensory garden
- Large enclosed play area
- Inclusive ‘Community Playthings’ furniture
- Observation window
- Meeting rooms
- Adaptable playrooms
- Disabled toilet
- Sensory room
- Integrated sensory area
What other settings provide similar support?
Springboard is the only setting providing a specialist service in North Wiltshire.
Portage provides a home tuition service for children with similar needs
See https://www.wiltshirelocaloffer.org.uk/ for more information